But then, just a few weeks ago the free plugin stopped working! It seems that Yahoo had basically silently gotten rid of the service, and that still seems the case (an announcement of some sorts would have been nice guys :/).
So we figured… well, why not take over where Yahoo has left off, brand new API, brand new cloud config, brand new improved smushing, introducing…
The All New WP Smush
Probably the biggest complaint of the old smush.it plugin (we’ve removed the .it, we’re just smushing) was that it kept on timing out and falling over as it basically wasn’t properly resourced or maintained by Yahoo.
3.2 million images smushed in the first 24 hours, that’s a savings of 13GB…
This new plugin has been redesigned from the ground up with a sleek new API and will be improved and maintained the same way we do with all WPMU DEV products.
Probably the second biggest complaint was that it didn’t work for https sites.
Now it does 🙂
Just install and activate the plugin and it’ll automatically and reliably smush every image you upload (up to 1MB, just like before), work just fine over https and allow you to batch smush your entire library in batches of 50 attachments.
It’s awesome and we’re so happy to be able to raise free smushing from the dead…. but of course, you can also take it that little bit further 🙂
Smush Pro is Brand New Too
The old Smush Pro plugin was awesome, we put so much work into it making it so that there weren’t drop outs, https was working and that users could Smush up to 5MB images.
Well, we had to do a bit better than that for this one, introducing the all new WP Smush Pro plugin.
Super Smush >60% Compression
With the new Pro release you can now “Super-Smush” your images with our intelligent multi-pass lossy compression. Getting >60% average compression with almost no noticeable quality loss.
You’ve never smushed so hard and so well.
Smush Up to 8MB
5MB wasn’t enough, you can now smush images up to a massive 8MB.
And we’ll try every kind of lossless compression we can to get the absolute most out of your images.
Backup All Smushed Images
Now you can backup every image you smush and restore it at a later date if you wish.
It never hurts to be safe.
Bulk Smush *Everything* in One Click
In the new WP Smush Pro plugin you can bulk smush as many images as you like with just one click.
Media library with 5,000 images… no worries, we’ll smush the lot of them for ya!
Oh, and 100+ Plugins, Upfront Themes & 24/7 Expert Support
And, of course not only do you get WP Smush Pro, but a WPMU DEV membership gets you everything else that a membership gets you.
Unlimited sites licenses, unlimited support, 100% GPL (so cancel any time and use forever).
If you haven’t already joined up, I think you are running out of excuses 🙂
And What About These Numbers…
And since we released it… less than 24 hours ago we’ve done:
- 13GB compressed off images.
- 3.2 million images smushed
- Images smushed from 5915 different WP sites
- Peaking at smushing 70 images per second today
- 9% average compression overall (that includes all filetypes, and mostly lossless)
- Lossless is 8.8% on average.
- Super-Smush (lossy) is 29% average (will go up to 60%+ as a lot of images coming through from members have been compressed previously)
Download the free WP Smush here.
Checkout WP Smush Pro here.
- Why Trying to Get 95+ on Google PageSpeed Insights for Your WordPress Site Will Drive You Mad! It ain’t easy trying to achieve a high score for…
- 10 Best Image Optimization Plugins to Speed Up Your WordPress Site Optimizing your images not only helps make your WordPress site…
- How to Massively Reduce Your Images for a Faster WordPress Site With a little work, you can make your images 25%…